Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2009 01:51:34 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'X' vs. 'Mouse'

On Fri 2009-12-11 07:30:01 UTC-0500, Carmel (carmel_ny@hotmail.com) wrote:

> It is really hard to push the merits of an operating system when you
> have to give detailed instructions to the potential end user on how to
> get a "mouse" to work, when all they have to do in a Win32 based system

Last time I had X working was in FreeBSD 6.3, with no dramas.  Things
may have changed a bit since then, but the general impression I get is
that most of Xorg's design decisions are made by Linux developers, and
so folks using Xorg in FreeBSD may have to put up with a few
compromises to get it to work reliably.

To be fair to FreeBSD, I don't think you can really call this as a
fault of the OS since Xorg is not part of FreeBSD.

> is plug it in. I really cannot fathom a seven year old having to modify
> an XML document to facilitate their playing a "How to Spell" CD,
> assuming that they could even get the CD operational.

I don't believe FreeBSD is intended to be used (let alone
administered) by children.  There are Linux distros better suited to
children.  Edubuntu springs to mind.  Ubuntu is pretty much
plug-and-play & point-and-click on most PCs made in the last few
years.  Certainly no XML editing required to get Xorg working.

Regards
Andrew