Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:35:48 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KVM switch problems and FreeBSD

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 08:59:10PM -0600, Erik Moe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble with a new Logitech optical mouse when it is
> connected to a Belkin OmniView KVM switch.  I previously used an old

I have the same set up with the same problem. I spent hours pouring
over the list archives and compiled a list of 11 solutions that
people had used to solve the 'out of sync' problem. None of them
worked. I ended up buying a mouse Y adapter so that I could use
the optical mouse with Windows and the mechanical mouse with
FBSD. To my amazement, that solved the dancing mouse cursor problem.
Now I use the optical mouse with both OSs.

I can eliminate the 'out of sync' messages by switching to another
host and using the mouse briefly. It doesn't matter what the other
host is; at the moment, my choices are FBSD, WinNT, and Win2000.
Using the mouse in any of them stops the error messages when I
return to the original FBSD host.

The Y connector solution isn't perfect. About once a month, the
cursor will start dancing in the middle of a session. Rebooting
solves the problem. Also, I had to return the first one I bought
because it stopped the mouse dance only intermittently, so this
may not be a very reliable solution. The Y connector does what
it was designed to do very reliably, but it wasn't designed to
be a sedative for mice afflicted by tarantism.

In case anyone else wants to try this, the connector is made by
P.I. Engineering, Inc., and the box says 'Y-mouse, Dual PS/2
Mouse Adapter'.

Bob Hall
--
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.        -Khushhal Khan Khatak