Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 05:41:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giving a sighandler more information

Mikhail Evstiounin <evstiounin@adelphia.net> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > From: Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
 >>Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 >> > Followup question: is a sig_atomic_t appropriate to hold the value of a
 >> > FILE * ?
 >>
 >>No.  It is only guaranteed to be large enough to hold an int.
 >>Of course, on intel PCs, a pointer has the same size as an int,
 >>but not on other platforms (e.g. the Alpha).  Therefore,
 >>portable programs cannot store a pointer in a sig_atomic_t.
 >
 > Sorry, guys, but it requirenments of ANSI that sizeof(void*)==sizeof(int).

No!  A program which assumes that an int is large enough to
store a pointer is BROKEN.  See this simple test program:

   #include <stdio.h>
   int main (int argc, char *argv[]) {
           printf("sizeof(int)   == %d\n", sizeof(int));
           printf("sizeof(void*) == %d\n", sizeof(void*));
           return 0;
   }

On an Alpha (64bit), the result is:

   sizeof(int)   == 4
   sizeof(void*) == 8

That was compiled with DEC's C compiler in -std1 mode.  This
is one of the most ANSI/ISO-compliant compilers that I'm aware
of.  (Note that gcc is not that ANSI-compliant.)

 > and question does it mean that alpha integer is 32 bit, or pointer has more
 > than 64?

See above.  ints are 32 bits, pointers are 64 bits.
And this is perfectly within ANSI spec.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)