Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:32:44 +0200
From:      lada@ws6303.gud.siemens.at (marino.ladavac@siemens.at)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, fbsdlist@federation.addy.com
Subject:   Re: static or dynamic linking?

> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Fri Sep 26 22:05:12 MET 1997
> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:46:51 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: static or dynamic linking?
>
> I got this question from a user:
>
> > Is the OS FreeBSD 2.2.2 statically or dynamically linked?
>
> How do I answer him?

The OS itself (the kernel) is statically linked, but it does support and
use loading and unloading subsystems at runtime (so called Loadable
Kernel Modules).

The apllications (user space executables) can be either statically or
dynamically linked.  Mixed mode linkage is, naturally, allowed (some libs
static, some libs dynamic).  Runtime library loading and unloading is
also supported.

I hope I haven't overseen any possible interpretation of the question.

/Marino