Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 1996 04:25:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Darrel Herbst)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting atapi cdrom?

I just performed a 2.1R install, then recompiled the kernel for atapi
cdrom support.  However I still can't seem to mount the ide atapi
cdrom.  Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong?

Some things I noticed were that:

(1)  the installation didn't create /dev/wcd0c automatically.  I had
to run /dev/MAKEDEV all to create it.  /dev/wcd0c is the correct
device file for the atapi cdrom isn't it?

(2) When I try /sbin/mount -t iso9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom or
/sbin/mount -t cd9660 /wcd0c /cdrom I get an error message about
/usr/sbin/mount_cd9660 on /cdrom -- well, when I look, the
mount_cd9660 is in /sbin, not /usr/sbin.

So, finally, I run /sbin/mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom, and I get an
error message "Device not configured."

I did the MAKEDEV for /dev/wcd0c.  I did create the /cdrom directory,
and no one is "in" it when I try the mount.  The FreeBSD install disk
1 is in the cdrom drive when I try to mount it.

I don't know what to try next.  Any hints?

--dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu