Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 01:47:20 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sja@tekla.fi
Subject:   Re: Error Message (mounting a DOS partition)

>Actually, I think I'm getting some of this.  So, DOS disks always
>have four partitions (some of which can have zero size).
>Slices 5..32 (NDOSPART+1...MAX_SLICES) are *inside* extended
>partitions (or recursively inside other slices).

Normally, recursively inside one extended partition in the primary
partition table.

>wd0s5 doesn't come after wd0s4 (as a UNIX weenie might expect);

wd0[a-h] and wd0s[1-4] need not be in sector order, so you shouldn't
expect much here.

>it is inside the first extended partition (whichever of the four
>that might be.)  s6 would be either after s5 inside the same extended
>partition, or on the next extended partition, or even inside s5.

Normally, to get s6, s4 would have contain 2 partitions (er
slices, I'll call them pslices from now on).  s5 and an extended
pslice that isn't mapped to a FreeBSD slice.  This extended
pslice contains s6 and possibly another extended pslice...
s5 would never have another pslice in it, but there might be 2
more pslices in the pslice table at the start of slice s4.  These
are normally not used.

Bruce