Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 1995 17:45:17 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   clnttcp_create: RPC: Program not registered

Various people wrote:
>>> I've looked everywhere and I still don't have any idea what this message
>>> means.  It comes out on the console four or five times when the system
>>> first boots up, and once every time I log in or su.  Aside from the
>>> error messages, everything else seems to be working OK, until this
>>> evening when I finally got another machine up on FreeBSD on my ethernet,
>>> and discovered rcp won't work:
>>>
>>> rcp: clnttcp_create: RPC: Program not registered

ypbind is not running, and you have 'nis' support enabled in /etc/host.conf

>> Hmmmm... Since I've set NIS up, I see this a few times when my system is
>> booting, but never any other time.   Everything seems to work for me, so
>> I haven't tried to figure it out.

> I believe that the cause of this message is that rpc-based services are
> used before portmap is loaded.

clnttcp_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

It waits one minute trying to resolve each hostname arg by NIS while setting
up the static routes, and portmap is not loaded (nor can it be loaded from an
NFS /usr at this stage).

The real fix would probably be to change pmap_getport() to not wait 60 seconds
for a reply from the local portmapper if it is not even running. Couldn't it
check whether the remote machine is localhost or the current host, and if so
just see if tcp PMAPPORT is bound (and listening) on the local machine, in
order to abort early if appropriate?

The temporary workaround is to put 'mv /etc/host.conf /etc/host.conf.tmp'
before setting up the static routes in /etc/netstart, and mv it back again
afterwards (a few lines down).

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>