Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 16:37:54 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
Subject:   Re: i386 cpu_reset_real: code/comment mismatch

on 20/05/2008 00:51 John Baldwin said the following:
> So, the comment is correct and not the code.  Curiously enough, OpenSolaris
> does the same thing (it writes 0x2 followed by 0x6), but it has some sort of
> comment which implies that you have to do a write to set or clear bit 1
> before setting bit 2.  Linux only uses 0xcf9 on a specific x86 machine (View
> workstation or some such) in which case it just does a single write of 0x6.
> I'll test locally to make sure 0x4 and 0x6 both work and if so I will commit
> the fix.

And this code is most likely never reached in majority of the cases,
reset via keyboard controller should just work.
BTW, I understand that there is a difference between hard and soft reset
in terms of hardware signals being asserted, but I don't quite
understand general consequences. I.e. what is a practical difference
between hard and soft reset?

--
Andriy Gapon