Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 09:44:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Greg McNichol <gc@mcnichol.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: X Windows & Mouse Problems

On 19-May-98 Greg McNichol wrote:
> Malte:
>
> thanks for the response ... you are the first person to respond without
> flaming.

UUhhh ... did not see any flame on the list ???

Did anyone flame this guy for having a problem with X ?

> I have since removed FreeBSD and loaded RedHat Linux 5.0 w/ Metro X. RedHat
> autoprobed for the mouse and I have full functionality but X is still a
> problem. I do have X up and running but only if it's Metro (trying to setup
> XF86 gives me the same problems). Metro sees my card as a Generic IBM VGA
> when the card is actually a Matrox. Go figure.

First of all, the switch to Linux was useless, since you already know many
FreeBSD-people are running X with Matrox-Mill. If you can not get your Matrox
going with FreeBSD, you will not be able with Linux either.
Next, if you did not get immediate response from this list, don't give up;
instead : shout, beg, whine, penetrate until you get help. What do you think
how often i am whining for help on several lists .... phaaaa ... i don't care
as long as i get help.

Since you moved to Linux, i can not say anything about mouse-config for X.
So lets first get your graphics going.

1. Where does your X-link point to ? ("ls -al /usr/X11R6/bin/X")

2. Post your /etc/XF86Config to this list.

3. Try to formulate your problem as specific as possible and further how do
   you think the result at the end should look like.

This is not detailed enough:
>> occupy the
>> chipset specified

When i am starting X in 800x600 every one of my windows (xterm) covers the whole
screen. So this one wouldn't be a problem so far.
The "Cirrus 5134"-stuff on the other hand is a problem.

I am sure we will get your problems solved.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>