Date:      06 Aug 2002 22:43:00 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        root@unixhideout.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /kernel: drop session, too many entries

--=-NUUU/KeQ9pOn+QqWB3mt

Hi Mike,
   Hmmm.., your mentioning ipfw *does* kinda make sense here.

If anything, I figure it might be the fact that the firewall has
processed (denied, for instance) a certain number of packets at a
certain rule number, and has actually decided not to process anymore as
the connection has already been assessed and (in the above case) a
decision (deny) has be made.

The end of this is, that there is no sense in continued logging of this
event, hence the message. The snag in this theory is the lack of a
firewall rule number associated with the message, though.

Logical, but by no means authoritative! I'd like to get to the bottom of
this myself, and do hope that a more learned ipfw person might comment.

Stacey

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 22:24, Mike wrote:
> It's due to IPFW rules. I know that cause i just configged it and im
> getting those errors, but I am not sure whats it means either. when you
> find out please send me the email.
>=20
> > Hi,
> >   I've been noticing the following in /var/log/messages recently. I
> > don't know what they refer to, nor if I should be concerned about them.
> >
> > Aug  6 13:01:11 <snip> /kernel: drop session, too many entries
> > Aug  6 13:01:19 <snip> /kernel: drop session, too many entries
> >
> > Here's my uname:
> > # uname -rp
> > 4.6-STABLE i386
> > #
> >
> > I'd appreciate someone in the know to shed some light on these messages=
,
> > please.
> >
> > Stacey
> >
> > --