Date:      Mon, 25 Apr 2011 23:38:30 +0200
From:      Przemyslaw Frasunek <przemyslaw@frasunek.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing serial port after enabling serial console in loader.conf

> I don't think so.  You can try swapping the hints for sio0 and sio1 and seeing if
> sio1 suddenly shows up as working and valid.  If so, then the changes in 8 to bind
> unit numbers using hints might work for you to get COM1 back as sio0.

Few days ago I decided to upgrade to 8.2-STABLE, partially due to some
long-standing Netgraph issues (which I discussed on freebsd-net). To my
surprise, sio0 (well, now uart0) had become detectable even in spite of enabled SOL:

uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
uart0: [FILTER]
uart0: console (9600,n,8,1)
uart1: <16550 or compatible> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
uart1: [FILTER]

Eventually I'm able to use comconsole in loader.conf and getty simultaneously.

BTW. I looked at the BIOS setup on my box - it has "Legacy OS" knob, allowing to
hide serial port occupied by SOL from non ACPI aware OS. It was disabled for all
the time, so my problem was probably related to sio(4) and fixed in uart(4).

--
* Fido: 2:480/124 ** WWW: http://www.frasunek.com ** NICHDL: PMF9-RIPE *
* Jabber ID: venglin@nette.pl ** PGP ID: 2578FCAD ** HAM-RADIO: SQ5JIV *