Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:19:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        chris@monochrome.org (Chris Hill)
Cc:        hamellr@aracnet.com (Rick Hamell), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wireless Laptop NICs

Chris Hill babbled:
> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 03:08:31 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Rick Hamell wrote:
>
> > 	Anyone have any experience with Wireless Nics for Laptops? I'm
> > looking for something that has a large range preferably. Wavelan looks
> > good but I've not seen them in action. Thanks in advance!
>
> I've used wavelan, but not in a computer (!) - it was in a wireless
> control system. FWIW, it worked reliably over a distance of about 20
> feet, through a wall. The room was too small to test greater distances.

WaveLANs were used extensively on the Dell campus in Austin until earlier
this year.  I was not involved in the installation, so can't give details,
but the range was such that people would go to the picnic benches outside
(about 40 meters from the nearest point of the building) to read e-mail
on their notebooks between meetings.  Another brand started replacing the
WaveLANs a few months ago, but I'm blank as to the brand as I sit here.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD             http://www.dunham.org
jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)

                             E Pluribus Unix