Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 21:31:56 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>, Hans Glitsch <hans@flash.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gcc

At 4:13 PM  -0500 5/10/96, Gary Palmer wrote:
>Hans Glitsch wrote in message ID
><1.5.4.32.19960510204525.0066b954@flash.net>:
>> Situation:
>> I have dialup access to FlashNet, an ISP here in Texas, and my web space on
>> their server (an UltraSparc using FreeBSD) allows me to run CGI scripts, but
>> FlashNet does not allow me to have "UNIX shell" type access. What this means
>> is that I can write a CGI script in Perl or bourne shell, but I can't write
>> one in C because I can't compile it on their server.
>
>Sorry, the ``UltraSPARC'' is made by Sun Microsystems (Inc) and runs
>(probably) Solaris 2.x and is not (really) related to
>FreeBSD. Sorry.

Oh! Bad answer. Its likely that "UltraSparc" and "FreeBSD" are mutually
exclusive and somebody is not telling the truth when both are used in the
same sentence.

Once Upon A Time I had more time on my hands that was really good for me so
I pulled down the sources to gcc, patchkits from ftp.cygnus.com and
proceeded to build a Sparc Sun-4.1.3 version of gcc under FreeBSD 2.0R on
an 8m 486DX33. It went pretty well. Shortly had a version of gcc that wrote
sparc code. Took that code to a Sun and finished the linking and it ran
("Hello World\n"). Was not interested enough to attempt to build a Sun
linker under FreeBSD but the tools were there to do it. Libraries and
include files would have been the big problem.

What Hans is asking to do is certianly possible but not trivial.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison