Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:15:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        cmetz@inner.net (Craig Metz)
Cc:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for a 2 channel Fast Ethernet NIC

> In message <199807131354.PAA14338@internal>, you write:
> >I see. So the best would be to get some these old ones. They are using
> >the de-driver, right? Are you running -STABLE on them?
>
>   We're running FreeBSD 3.0 snapshots on them with kernel code we're working
> on. We also use the boards with Linux 2.0/2.1, BSD/OS 2.1/4.0, NetBSD 1.3.2,
> and OpenBSD 2.3, and we've used it with FreeBSD 2.2.2 in the past. I'd be very
> surprised if they didn't work under -STABLE.

That sounds good. I think, I will try it.

> >I have no machine with AMI BIOS here (only Award). Thanks for the hint anyway.
>
>   Another suggestion: Try to maximize the number of IRQs available for
> allocation to PCI devices. Remember that a dual-port board (at least the SMC)
> is going to take up two of them. (As far as I can tell, the multi-Tulip designs

Yes, that's what my SMC 8434BT also does at the moment.

> like the Adaptec that try to conserve IRQs end up causing more problems than
> they solve) Move ISA boards to lower IRQs, and disable everything in your BIOS
> that you're not using (e.g., IDE, USB, and allocating IRQs to the video board).

Sure. Unfortunatley, my 4 PCI slots are all used so there always will be
some devices which share one interrupt. But this is no big problem
because the shared interrupt is at the moment being used on a low traffic NIC
and on the SCSI controller which mainly does the backups at night.

Thanks again!

> 									-Craig

	-Andre