Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:04:02 +0200
From:      Martin Welk <mw@sol.freibergnet.de>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Mike Pontillo <mike_p@revenge.pylos.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 09:06:52AM -0700, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> After a business trip out of town, I managed to get the owner for a small
> company to realize that buying the cheapest possible NICs wasn't the way
> to run a consulting business.  He had picked up 5 of the D-Link 10/100 PCI
> nics. One wouldn't work at all (nothing we did would even show that the
> card existed), one had a packet loss rate of about 30%, and none of them
> wanted to work on the customers 10BaseT network.  Between this and the
> fact that the D-Link cards change regularly (often in ways that older
> FreeBSD drivers don't like), he finally agreed to change that policy.
>
> We'll probably be going Intel EtherExpress Pro's in the future, though I
> understand we should avoid the NEC SCSI cards with these.

If you need cheap but working cards, look for the D-Link 530TX. They
don't look to bad and work under FreeBSD (at least, > 3.x) with the
vr (Via Rhine chipset) driver. A six-pack of them makes a price less
than 25 DEM here, fifty cost even less. The Interl EtherExpress 10/100
are almost four times as expensive as the D-Link, but I would prefer
them of course. But we found the Via Rhine based cards to be a good
compromise in price and what you get from them. On a P-II/350 board
FreeBSD get's 11 MB/sec. over them using FTP with some CPU load, but
not more than 15 %.

In any case, I prefer those Via Rhine cards before any Realtek based
cards due to driver difficulties we experienced already before.

Regards,

Martin
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387