Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 01:09:54 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Mozilla 0.9.2 and flash plugin

I meant to send this to the list . . .

Subject: Re: Mozilla 0.9.2 and flash plugin
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:03:20 -0400
From: Brian T. Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>j

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 19:20, you wrote:
> > From: "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
> > Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 00:00:48 -0400
> >
> > Not really.  There's a netscape plugin (see the ports collection for
> > flashplugin), but it doesn't work with mozilla (at least for me); I think
> > it fails because it tries to use an a.out file, which is obsolete, but
> > I'm not sure if that's why.
>
> The problem is that it's a Linux plug-in. If you had a Linux build of
> Mozilla and ran it on FreeBSD, the linux-flash plug-in should work (as
> should other Linux plug-ins).

Not really.  There is both a Linux plugin and a native FreeBSD plugin.  The
Linux plugin is called linux-flashplugin and the FreeBSD one is called
flashplugin.  The Linux plugin is an official MacroMedia-based one, and I
already run it in my Linux version of Netscape (which I have for all the web
sites that require lots of fancy stuff) but I'd prefer to run flash in my
(FreeBSD native) Mozilla browser and perhaps my (FreeBSD native) Konqueror
browser as well.  I use a lot of browsers here . . .
The FreeBSD-native one is an independent implementation of a (slightly older)
version of Flash, but appears not to have been maintained for some time, and
since the port doesn't actually have source (it's a precompiled .o file) I'm
not sure how to updated it properly.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)