Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:07:07 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE vs SCSI was: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

According to lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov:
> So, any configurations out there significantly faster than 3 hours
> for a "make world" of 3.0-current?  I doubt if any of those systems
> use EIDE disks, but, I have been wrong many times before.  Results?

PPro/200, 256 KB cache , 64 MB RAM, Adaptec 7880, 2x SCSI drives @ 7200 rpm,
"make world" is about 1h20. I get the same time more or less with my other
system (K6/200, 512 KB cache, 64 MB RAM, 2x SC-200 with 2 SCSI drives @
5400 rpm) when the K6 doesn't kill gcc...

Important points for these "make world": all FS async, NOCLEAN defined but
/usr/obj is empty.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #29: Tue Aug 26 21:05:09 CEST 1997