Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X4.2 Broken on 4.6RC??

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> We mobile owners will need to be more cautious than tower owners
> going from 4.5 to 4.6, as we won't have their possibility to swap
> out graphic cards with no longer supported chips.  I'm going to
> tread carefully with mine when the time comes, & perhaps need to
> delete 4.2 & install an old 3.3.6 if necessary.

I installed 4.2 overtop of 3.3.6 and it compiled/installed without any
problems.  However, I don't know if any of my applications work because
I can't get it configured properly.  :(

I think my problem is getting resolution and rates correct for the LCD,
since the video driver doesn't give any real errors.  I just get vertical
multi-coloured lines or a blank screen.  Although, I'm even using the same
ModeLine's from the 3.3.6 config, so I'm pretty stumped.  Maybe LCDs are
harder to configure?  Or atleast different modelines?

It's an IBM ThinkPad 560E with a Trident 9660 and 12.1" LCD, incase anyone
else has something similar.

Definitely backup your system, or atleast /usr/X11R6, before installing
4.2.

Anyone ever tried going back to 3.3.6 after installing 4.x?