Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 22:19:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

Peter Childs writes:
 > In article <199608202352.JAA07430@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au> you wrote:
 >
 > : Also, you might want to point out to the moron in the shop that PCI
 > : interrupts are lettered (INTA, INTB, INTC, INTD), not numbered, and
 > : that INTA on one slot is _NOT_ connected to INTA on any other slot.
 >
 >  So this means that with multiple SC200 cards they can all be set on
 >  INTA ??   If so are there any pros/cons to doing this?

In fact they all SHOULD be set to Int A !

Int A is the principal interrupt line of each PCI slot.

It is mapped to some ISA IRQ by the system BIOS at POST
time on all current PCI motherboards. The PCI code knows
how to deal with the case that multiple PCI cards end up
being connected to the same ISA IRQ. But you will want
to have a seperate IRQ assigned to each PCI device, if
your system configuration permits this.

The system startup messages will show the IRQ used for
each PCI device at the end of its probe line.

 >  I've got two in my machine, one driving a Fujitsu 230mb MO device under
 >  2.1.5-stable, and just recently i've been having some disturbing hangs
 >  that feel like SCSI bus hangs whilst accessing the MO :(

Please send me some details (from /var/log/messages). I need
at least the complete boot message log (preferably from a
boot with "-v" for more verbose probe output) and the error
message when the SCSI command was aborted.

 >  Could a mix match of SCSI-I and SCSI-II devices on the same bus cause
 >  this sort of problem?   Basically i've got 2 1gb drives, a quantum
 >  fireball, and a segate 1080sl, along with a maxtor 330mb (ancient)
 >  on one bus, and the Fujitsu on the other....

The driver should be able to support a mix of SCSI-2 drives
and ancient drives (which often show up as SCSI-1, though
they already support most SCSI-2 features). But many such
devices do not work reliably on a SCSI bus that has FAST
SCSI devices connected at 10MHz sync. transfer rate, even
if the old device is only using asynchronous transfers.

So you may try limiting the SCSI sync transfer rate to 5MHz
or less (see the "ncrcontrol (8)" man page).

 >  The main reason for this at the moment is the Fujitsu's SCSI connector
 >  is upsidedown :(   (and i hate cable twists/spagetti farms :)

O well, that's one of the best reasons to buy a second SCSI
controller that I've ever heard ;-)

Regards, STefan