Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:02:55 -0700
From:      Hartoyo <suntzu@theartofwar.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd box 'unreacheable'

I have installed freebsd on Compaq Deskpro 2000 (Pentium 166, 80MB RAM)
at work.

The box is running only 3 services: httpd, sshd, and postfix/smtp. The
problem is, after idle a while - 15 to 30 minutes, the box will be
unreachable from the net. I had tried to ping, or ssh login from home
without any success. But the box is ACTIVE....

What I have to do in order to login to the FreeBSD box  is to login to
another box  (OpenBSD), then ping the freebsd box, and voila, it's
working again (I can reach it from home). But if I don't ping it from
the OpenBSD box first, I couldn't reach it at all.

The OpenBSD and FreeBSD box are located in the same building, connected
to the same switch (Netgear FX-108???)
no firewall has been set up.

Any help would be appreciate.

Thank you

PS: FreeBSD version is 3.4STABLE.
/var/log/messages doesn't show any errors.