Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 20:03:47 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <freebsd07@wayne47.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg does bad things after upgrade from 8.4 to 9.3

<ike@michaeleichorn.com>:
>>>=20
>>> But you must reinstall everything. You upgraded your ABI going 8->9 =
so
>>> everything needs rebuilt/reinstalled. See next.
>>=20
>> Exactly.
>> Or unpack the compat8x package by hand.
>=20
> Explain this please?

If you don=E2=80=99t delete the old libraries, you don=E2=80=99t need =
that.
You can untar any package (it=E2=80=99s just a tar.xz).

>=20
>> Or don???t delete the old libraries upon upgrading???
>=20
> We never delete the old libraries. So the old binaries function.
> But, the goal is to migrate to 9.X executables over time. The
> motivation for this is that upgrading something almost always breaks
> things and it is MUCH easier to deal with these breakages =
incrementally
> over several days, rather than having everything broken at once.
>=20

How about a test-system?

> Note that NONE of this explains why pkg would delete ANYTHING. I
> can (sorta) see that upgrading bash says I have to upgrade mutt
> (but, really, it should just install a new library for bash and let =
mutt
> run on the old one) but can not think of a reason it would remove
> it!

It deletes the old packages, usually.
Unless it can=E2=80=99t find a replacement. Then (IIRC), it just leaves =
the package as is.

This is really just a case of =E2=80=9Eyou=E2=80=99re holding it =
wrong=E2=80=9C IMO.

pkg has a few problems, still - but most of them are inherent to the way =
and the speed that the ports-tree evolves (IMO) and you can=E2=80=99t =
catch every corner case.

That=E2=80=99s why you build your own packages, run your own repository =
and install all the same packages on every host so that your upgrades =
always work the same and you test it on a few test-servers, then the =
"guinea-pig=E2=80=9C servers and then the rest.

I=E2=80=99ve got a hundred (more or less) FreeBSD servers and jails with =
pkg - and there=E2=80=99s been maybe a handful of structural problems =
since I started using it.
At some point (maybe during a rename) mysql-server was deleted but not =
upgraded. Big deal, you install it again, start it, run mysql-upgrade =
and all is peachy again.

Compared to the nightmare of upgrading more than a handful of servers =
with the old pkg_ tools, this is like a walk on the beach.