Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:23:05 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        ben@rosengart.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: further debugging woes

On Sep 22,  3:11pm, Snob Art Genre wrote:
} Subject: further debugging woes
}
} The automatic fsck failed with an unexpected softupdates inconsistency.
} I ran fsck manually, and then, as an experiment, ran it again.  The
} second time, it found a link count of -11 that should have been 2 that
} it missed during the first manual run!

Fsck is broken and actually corrupts the filesystem.  It didn't miss the
bad link count the first time, it actually broke it.  See my patch in
bin/8030.