Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 00:14:38 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <midiostri@in.gr>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: card with tv-out

I have no idea how the PCI card works, it could require separate
drivers or it could loop back the VGA connector and just use the
PCI bus for power.

I worked for that company for 6 months, a number of years ago
as a network admin.  One of the things that I learned from talking to the
developers there was that making a computer display _nicely_
on a TV set was very, very, very non-trivial.  There's a far
greater amount of engineering than you would think that has
gone into that box to make it's output look pretty, and to
make it compatible with the poor excuses that pass for VGA signals
that come from many cards.

Displaying a TV picture on a computer monitor is simple and
easy, but going the opposite direction is hard.  Consider that
at 1024x768 you have to throw away 2/3 of the pixels just to
match resolution - have you seen what happens to a .jpg or a
.gif when you reduce it in a image program?  Also consider how
long it takes to reduce a image and consider that this device is
doing it at the rate of 15 frames per second (or whatever the
speed is)  Also, the aspect ratio between a TV set and a VGA
monitor is different and you have to handle that too.