Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:47:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        olegs@matrix.ru (Oleg Semenyuk)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rcp for root

Oleg Semenyuk wrote:
> Hi netters,
>
> can anubody help me? I want use 'rcp' command for root.
> But it seems work only for usual username, not for super user.
> I tried hosts.equiv, /root/.rhosts - no work for root.

hosts.equiv never works for root.  Only .rhosts is used.

Check the permissions on .rhosts.  Should be 600 (rw-------) or
400 (r--------), and owned by root, group wheel.

[listread@castor listread]$ ls -la /root/.rhosts
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  - 124 Aug  3 01:39 /root/.rhosts

Be sure that the contents of .rhosts are correct. If you use
the names of machines, be sure that they can be resolved to IP
numbers by the host having the .rhosts file.

Dave
--
             Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis.