Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 19:23:57 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binutils bloat

> Are people going to object if we keep _all_ the binutils source in
> src/contrib/binutils so that we can define a few things in /etc/make.conf
> and get cross tools out of a `make world'?
>
> I've had a play with this and I've found it is annoying to have to
> cvs tree to get this to work.

Are the cross tools only useful for targetting FreeBSD systems?  Can
you poke it so that it produces more than one set of cross tools in a
given world build?  (does binutils support multitargetting?  I seem to
recall something that implied it was going to way-back-when.)

I could see the sense in putting bits in for likely targets (sparc,
alpha, ppc, maybe a few others), but dinosaurs like the Vax, m88k,
amd29k etc. could probably be ignored.

OTOH, what is the actual footprint we're talking about here?  Disk is
cheap. 8)