Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 05:40:00 -0500
From:      John.Place@rrd.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anonymous FTP and Symlinks

Thank you all for the replies, my original fear is true. There is no way to
make it look like it did under QNX. I Understand how chroot works I was
hoping for a work around. The reason ofr the need is I have samba installed
on this server and. I also have Anonymous FTP installed to access one of
the samba shares but not any others. The "tree" looks like:

usr
     data
          samba
               info1
               info2
               info3

Under QNX I simply put a symlink in /var/ftp pointing to
/usr/data/samba/info2 named info2 this violates the chrooted enviroment. I
guess my soulition will be to set ftp's home to /usr/local/data/samba/info2
and also put in a symlink named info2 pointing to . so as not to break
existing scripts and confuse existing users. It is not a big enough benifit
to go hack at the kernel or create a special version of a hard link (one
thing I did not mention is that /var and /data are on diferent drives so I
doubt this would work anyhow) not that I am sure I could pull it off. The
way I had it done under QNX was cleaner but I under stand that it was done
for the greater good.

Thanks for the help
John