Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:44:56 -0800
From:      Ryan Snedegar <ryan@positronic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS login problem

I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD 3.4 workstation on our LAN at work and having a problem. We use NIS (not +) from a Sun Solaris 2.5.1 server.  I *think* I have everything set up properly for FreeBSD to be an NIS client.  I'm not above making mistakes, so if something is wrong in what I've done let me know.
Per the FreeBSD Ezine, and other messages in the mailing list archives page, I changed the /etc/master.passwd, group, hosts, host.conf, master.passwd, passwd.  The +::??????? entries are at the end of each appropriate file.  I have the following settings in rc.conf:
nis_client_enable="YES"
nis_client_flags=""
nis_ypset_enable="NO"
nis_ypset_flags=""

I've tried with the client flags set to -s, -S domainname,servername and no options.
Using the -S option gets me a bunch of  restricted mode access list messages.  After reading messages in the mailing list archives, it seems that using no options is the best way to go.  ypbind runs and doesn't complain, but I am unable to login using any of the NIS logins.
ypwhich shows the correct server. I can use ypcat to get all sorts of good info (passwd, group, netgroup).

I'm not subscribed to -questions, so please forward replies directly.  If you need more info, then let me know and I can dig it up.  Thanks in advance.
--
Ryan Snedegar				ryan@positronic.net
"System Administrators keep it up all the Time"