Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 12:11:32 -0800
From:      "Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
To:        FreeBDS-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Telnet and FTP not working, ping OK

Hello!

I have got telnet running now, by uncommenting it from the /etc/inetd.conf

However, as I explained in another message, when I do telnetting from a Windows machine in the LAN
to my FreeBSD server, I get an enourmous delay after I filled in the login screen (user, password)
and hit enter. That is, the telnet login screen pops up immediatly, it is the loggin in that takes
so long. I followed the suggestion below of Marco and checked the Server  name and IP in both
/etc/hosts and the c:\windows\hosts file. These lines seems to be OK:
192.168.1.3			delta.local.galileo.or.cr delta

I also did a nslookup, once within the FreeBSD server:
./nslookup 192.168.1.3 #This is my Server
$ nslookup
Default Server:  LANmodem.local.galileo.or.cr
Address:  192.168.1.20

> exit
$ nslookup 192.168.1.3
Server:  LANmodem.local.galileo.or.cr
Address:  192.168.1.20

Name:    delta.local.galileo.or.cr
Address:  192.168.1.3

Also for the Windows machine:
$ nslookup 192.168.1.2 #This is the LAN Windows workstation
Server:  LANmodem.local.galileo.or.cr
Address:  192.168.1.20

Name:    tulin.local.galileo.or.cr
Address:  192.168.1.2

Any ideas what is happening here?

Many thanks in advance!
-brt

>> FreeBSD is trying to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address of your
>> windows machine.  Add it to your DNS records, or to your /etc/hots file.
>>
>> Marco Radzinschi

   Bert Hiddink, FUNDACION GALILEO
   Correo electronico: hiddink@galileo.or.cr
   Sitio: http://www.galileo.or.cr
   Tel. (506) 280 8683, telefax. (506) 280 8847