Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:02:24 +0100
From:      "Jeffrey Belles" <jaffa@fabfive.nl>
To:        Arindam <arindam.mukerjee@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH woes

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 18:37:14 +0530, Arindam wrote
> I have a Pentium III 733 Mhz box with 512 MB RAM running FreeBSD 6.1.
> I also have a second box with Fedora Core 2. I tried connecting to my
> FreeBSD box using ssh from my Fedora Core 2 machine.
>
> # ssh -l root <myFreeBSD box>
> Password:
> Password:
> Password:
>
> It kept asking me for Password: although everytime I put the correct
> value. I tried out clearing the .ssh* files in my home directories
> and trying to reconnect. None of it worked.
>
> Where am I going wrong.

By default ssh-ing to root is denied for security-reasons
Try login in with a normal account and do a 'su -' to act as root.
If you really really really want to allow root-logins through ssh, edit the
file /etc/ssh/sshd_config

and remove the hash from the following line:
#PermitRootLogin yes

 HTH
 -Jeffrey