Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:55:00 +0000
From:      Kerberus <kerberus@inetu.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Laptop Problems

--------------61981B7C3EF42C0844C6ECD3

OK so maybe nobody saw this post .... ???

I have a CTX EasyBook laptop with an AMD K6 3D 300Mhz CPU, 32mg memory,
20x cdrom, Toshiba MK2109 MAT 2 gig disk, 2 PCMCIA slots, 2 USB Ports,
an Infrared controller, internal modem, serial port, paralell port, and
a Neomagic video card, did i forget anything.... those are the specs.

the hard drive is primary on the primary controller, the cdrom drive is
primary on the secondary controller

first when booting everything is found, but there is a long pause during

when trying to decipher my cdrom controller,
but it does get passed it finally after a few minits, also on the
initial install while booting with the 2.2.8-RELEASE floppy it gave the
following error and locked up solid,

atapi1.0: invalid command phase, ireason=0xd0,
status=d0<busy,ready,opdone>, error=d0

this is debug information.

I have to disable the cdrom in the bios, in order for sysinstall to run,

and install from a dos partition. so finally i get it installed and
re-enable the cdrom and boot, still long pause 2-3 minits, then finally
a login, curiosity kills me i run sysinstall ( I know better ) locked up

solid while probing for devices. Ok so how do i stop the pause, and
prevent sysinstall from locking up on the cdrom so i can actually use
the damn thing ??? and lastly since this is a laptop, i needed to patch
with the PAO patch, to enable my NETGEAR ethernet card. ( it works fine
on my other CTX ) so i know its not the card, but when it now boots it
initializes then errors out with

"/kernel: ed0: device timeout"

the Ethernet PCMCIA card is a NETGEAR FA410TX
this doesnt happen on the other laptop.... ok so im done i have three
problems

1: how can i stop this damn long pause
2: how do i prevent sysinstall probing for devices and locking up or fix

the cdrom error
3: get my ethernet card to stop timing out so i can use it

Thanks in Advance,

Almost Happy CTX Laptop

PS the ps/2 mouse and Xwindows actually do run on this thing nicely, but

i net either the network connectivity or a working cdrom to install any
ports .....!!!! jeeeez!! go figure.

OhhhNooooo

--------------61981B7C3EF42C0844C6ECD3

OK so maybe nobody saw this post .... ???
and
is
the
run,