Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:09:09 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        "Ronald 'Ko' Klop" <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
Cc:        "Kave p.Ram" <hotkaveh@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3D graphic card

Hello,

It seems that both companies are porting their drivers to work with the
next version of XFree86 (the 3D extension is GLX, if I've read it all),
which should be release 4.0 and be out from next July (for Beta
versions).

As XFree is ported on both Linux and FreeBSD, you can buy either type of
boards.

The prices for NVidia boards should come down faster, as NVidia sell its
chips to anyone,as comapared to Voodoo, which has a more restricted
approach to selling its chips (STB should the only one to use the chips)

	TfH

PS : I've got a Riva128 board in my home box and I find it nice (I only
miss more than 4 Megs of memory to use deep screens at 1280x1024)

Ronald 'Ko' Klop wrote:

> I don't know the answer, but maybe you should also port your article to
> freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ronald.
>
> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Kave p.Ram wrote:
>
> > Hello all :)
> > first Thanx alot to all of you people for reading this .
> > second : I have a hardware-related question, but somehow
> > I find it XFree86-dependent . so I thought it could fit into
> > this mailing list :)
> >
> > the question :
> > I want to buy a 3D graphic-card 8/12/16 Mb
> > for using under FreeBSD.
> >
> > I have these choices :
> > Voodoo* / Banshee
> > number-Nine      #3d Accl not supported by Xfree86 , but commercial :(
> > NVIDIA-TNT2
> >
> > which one do you recomand ?
> > Is there anyone out there who made Voodoo II/III cards
> > work under FreeBSD ?
> > I know that drives for Voodoo* & NVIDIA is provided for
> > Linux.
> >
> > I appreciate your answer :-)
> >
> >                                     Regards
> >                                     /kave