Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 23:19:47 +0200
From:      Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xterm and colour (Was: cvs commit: ports/mail/mutt-devel...)

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v

* Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com> [2002-05-04 16.15 -0400]:
> > I put a "real" xterm termcap in front of the freebsd one, and
> > rebuilt the termcap.db. Works for me.
>=20
> Yes, but... Maintaining local hacks like this is so painful when you've=
=20
> accumulated a bunch of them...
>=20
> Much nicer to run an freshly-sup'd version without local hacks.
=20
Yes indeed.

> > > I run so few color-based text apps that it's not worth the hassle to =
sort it=20
> > > out (although it is somewhat irritating that we appear to be Doing It=
 Wrong,=20
> > > after it used to work).
> >=20
> > I agree.
>=20
> Why is this happening anyway? Last thread I saw on the topic turned into =
a=20
> clash of commiter privs (as in "I have them, it'll be this way").
=20
Beats me. It's sad, though.

> Most people want to have local xterms Just Work. In mono by default, but=
=20
> display color if you run up sysinstall/mutt/ports dialog etc. in an xterm.
>=20
> They also want remote xterms to display correctly on their local screens.

Yep.

> This used to work perfectly with the color customizations in ~/.Xdefaults=
 and=20
> Xterm-color (an acceptable hack, IMHO), but this no longer works.
>=20
> Setting TERM=3Dxterm-color (or some other wonky, non-standard value) to g=
et this=20
> is not really acceptable (for me at least).

[...snip...]

=20
> I think I've just talked myself into doing the local hack - but it seems=
=20
> unnecessary to me, and it pains me when other people say of my favorite O=
S:
>=20
> : The xterm-color value for $TERM is a bad choice for XFree86 xterm=20
> : because it is commonly used for a terminfo entry which happens to=20
> : not support bce. Complicating matters, FreeBSD (after dithering for=20
> : a few years on the matter) has a bastardized version which implies=20
> : the opposite sense of bce, (because it uses SGR 39 and 49), but=20
> : does not set it.=20
=20
And if a FreeBSD-user asks on a non-freebsd list (something like
"Hi, I run freebsd-4.x, how do I get foo to show colour in an
xterm?"), and you reply "xterm-color yadda yadda blah", Thomas
Dickey appear instantly, pointing his finger saying "FreeBSD is bad!"

Not Fun(TM).

> Present behaviour just seems flat-out wrong to me.

It sure does. Who is responsible? The port (XFree86 ?) maintainer?
Someone else? Do you think sending some polite e-mails to The Right
Person(TM) would help?

Just my 0.02 Swedish Krona
--=20
Martin Karlsson - 0x9C924660