Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:19:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org, andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Subject:   Re: [PORTS] RE: pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, possib

On 23-Mar-98 Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> > Yes, this was a bug in the configure stuff, where if it found
>> > something
>> > in /usr/include, it made TCL_INCDIR="", so the compile did -I with no
>> > directory name, and it took the next file as the include directory and
>> > failed.
>> >
>> > This will be fixed in today's release of 6.3.1.
>>
>> Could you please let me knwo when the cvsuup server has been updated?
>
> cvsup is updated now.

Almost exactly the same result:  The library will not install in ~pgsql/lib.
I installed by hand;  cd ~/src/pgsql/src/interfaces/libpgtcl;make install.
I specified in configure --with-tcl, which to my narrow mind, heavily
influenced with the 6.2 behavior, it sounds like a bug.

..

>> > Not sure about FreeBSD, but I have it working on BSDI by creating a
>> > shared library version of libpgtcl, and change pgaccess to use that
>> > library name.
>>
>> Good news.  Now, please tell me:
>>
>> a.  How/what to do to create a shared libpgtcl?  I have the make process
>>     (after fixing it to include correctly) produce a libpgtcl.so.1.0
>>     with a
>>     symlink to libpgtcl.so
>
> I think that is all it takes.

Nope.  I also did (as root :-), ldconfig -m ~pgsql/lib, and added
~pgsql/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

>> b. How do I convince pgaccess to use that library?  BTW, where is the
>>    executable pgaccess?  My guess is that it is some sort of a wish
>>    shell,
>>    which knowns about pg, etc.  But what produces it and how?
>
> The executable is src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl.  I have to find the
> libpqtcl.so line, and edit it.

Not so simple.  first, I added both known Unix methods of broadcasting a
library (LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and ldconfig), to no avail.
Then, I edit pgaccess.tcl, to have the library explicitly specified.

Now I get:

$ /usr/local/bin/wish8.1 src/pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl
Error in startup script: couldn't load file
"/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpgtcl.so": Undefined symbol "_PQnotifies" in
wish8.1:/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpgtcl.so
    while executing
"load /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpgtcl.so"
    (procedure "main" line 3)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv
"

Instead of $ /usr/local/bin/wish8.1 src/pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl
Error in startup script: couldn't load file "libpgtcl.so": cannot stat
"libpgtcl.so" : No such file or directory
    while executing
"load libpgtcl.so"
    (procedure "main" line 3)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv
"
    (file "src/pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl" line 4505)

This holds true for wish 8.1, 8.0, 4.2, 4.1

This is why I love TCL so much.  The concept of backwards compatability, or
inter-port compatability has not been discovered yet.  I have a customer
who needs/likes pgaccess.  Any help will be appreciated.