Date:      02 Sep 1999 21:31:19 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Off the wall question ...

"Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com> writes:

> Got a question for 'ya all,
> In just about every script that I open in FreeBSD I see
> the following line:
>
> (This one from /etc/csh.cshrc)
> #	$Id: csh.cshrc,v 1.2 1998/09/02 01:34:55 brian Exp $

> Is this required?
> What generates it?
No.  It's just an informational line inserted by the CVS package when
files are checked in and out of the CVS repository (which is where all
the FreeBSD source is stored.)  It's useful to see what version of a
source file or script you're working with.

Try:
  ident /bin/ls

and you'll see that it also can be used to see what source file versions
were used in building an executable.

> What documentation covers this?

man cvs
info cvs