Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:21:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      bryan@freebsd.lunch.org
To:        Tony Maher <Tony.Maher@eBioinformatics.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: neomagic 256av audio

| given the reports from Sony owners - it made me wonder if maybe the Dell
| has separate audio chip and does not use the audio in the 256AV chip?

not sure about the dell -- but i have seen laptops that use the nm256
for video and not for audio.  the hp omnibook 900 for example.

like someone else said earlier, i think there is a legacy/isa compat
mode that is an option for this chip.  the neomagic website mentioned
it and the linux nm256 driver checks for it and warns the user:

  NM256: This doesn't look to me like the AC97-compatible version.
         You can force the driver to load by passing in the module
         parameter:
               force_ac97 = 1
         More likely, you should be using the appropriate SB-16 or
         CS4232 driver instead.  (If your BIOS has settings for
         IRQ and/or DMA for the sound card, this is *not* the correct
         driver to use.)

i am trying to get it working on a sony vaio z505rx running STABLE
which doesn't seem to have the compat mode option and also does not
have any bios settings for audio.

so far i've learned enough about how pci probing works to get it
recognized at boot time:

  vga0: <NeoMagic model 0005 VGA-compatible display device> rev 0x20 int a irq 9 on pci0.8.0
  nm1: <Neomagic 256av> rev 0x20 int b irq 9 on pci0.8.1

next i'm going to try to decipher what the linux driver is doing and
learn how the pcm device works using the es1370 driver as an example
(/usr/src/sys/pci/es1370.c)...

                                          ...bryan