Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:43:42 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Erich Zigler" <erichz@superhero.org>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSD User Group Tips

I'll throw out a few comments on this you may or may not agree with.

For starters, you will get advice to use the tips that Linux
User Groups have used to form a group.  Maybe this will work for
you but I'll reserve judgement untill I see it working.

The nitty-gritty is that there's a significant paradigm difference
between how the Linux community transfers knowledge and how the
BSD community transfers knowledge.  I say "transfers knowledge" because
this really is the root reason why you form a user group to start
with - so that newbies can get a helping hand.

I'll illustrate the difference with these 180 degree opposite exaggerations:

With the Linux OS, the entire point of the experience is dealing with
Linux USERS.  Linux is a sharing thing, it's not a solitary thing.  Most
Linux users view the Linux OS as a means to interconnect with other
PEOPLE that share their views, the software itself is of secondary
importance.

With the BSD OS, the entire point of the experience is dealing with
the BSD SOFTWARE.  BSD is a solitary thing, it's not a sharing thing.  Most
BSD users view the BSD OS as a means to interconnect with different
SOFTWARE that works the way they like, the people themselves are of
secondary importance.

Liken the Linux community as a gaggle of hens and BSD as a group of
roosters.
Or, a sexist explanation is BSD is a bunch of he-men saying "leave me
alone I'll do it myself" and Linux is a bunch of women saying "Oh this
doesen't work, Mary can you help me?"

Now, of course the reality is a bit fuzzier, but this is closer to the
truth than a lot of folks would want to admit.  There's numerous examples,
compare the number of Linux books and periodicals to the number of BSD
books and periodicals, the number of people that FTP instead of purchase
both OS's, and even the increased interest in changing the world
(ie: activism) in Linux vs BSD.

This comes out in user groups I think.  There seems to be a lot fewer of
them under BSD and the ones that exist seem not to have these giant meetings
with hundreds and hundreds of people attending along with vendors and all
the song and dance.  People say "that's just numbers" but this is baloney -
in the large cities there's plenty of BSD people so that if the BSD user
groups
were critical backbones they could draw big numbers too.

With the BSD user group that I'm in, it's a lot more easy going, we don't
have dues or any of that or even a web page.  Meetings consist of low-key
affairs in some convenient pub or in someone's backyard around the barbecue,
and attendance is probably 20-30% if that.  I think this suits the
participants
just fine and I don't think that any of them would care much for a highly
structured group with dues and membership and a web page and regular
meetings
and all that rackafratz.  The local mailing list (which I host) is more the
regular meeting place then a physical meeting location.

My caution is if you want to start a BSD user group, don't knock yourself
out with the structure and planning of the group unless you get a flood
of members that all want that.  I think with the Linux user groups, most of
the Linux users want the structure and someone telling them what to do.
I've even seen this with people working on servers at the co-locate that
is at the ISP that I work at, invariably the folks running BSD when they
have a problem they research it themselves then when they figure out what's
wrong they fix it and we never hear from them.  The Linux people on the
other hand come running and wanting us to tell them whats wrong with the
least
little thing, and I can't tell you how many times I've asked people with
Red Hat servers "Have you looked on Red Hat's website and seen if this is
mentioned" and gotten blank stares, then I spend 5 minutes digging up the
fix off the Linux sites and they think I'm some kind of god.  And I don't
even run it on any of our servers!!!!