Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 2015 12:54:45 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>
To:        transport@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Setting congestion window on loss detection

--0vzXIDBeUiKkjNJl

Found this issue about a month ago and started a discussion on -net:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-September/043249.html

I feel this forum is a better place to discuss this further now.

Problem: We set cwnd to 1mss when we detect loss via arrivals of 3 dupacks.
That is wrong as we severely underutilizing network capacity by doing
so.

Next question is, what should we set cwnd to?

RFC6675 (TCP SACK) suggests following on detecting loss:
ssthresh = cwnd = (FlightSize / 2)

RFC5681 (TCP Congestion control) suggest:
ssthresh = max (FlightSize / 2, 2*SMSS)
cwnd = (ssthresh + 3*SMSS)

(Here, FlightSize is bytes in flight.)

OR should we let whatever congestion control (CC) algo in control decide
that value?

Cheers,
Hiren

--0vzXIDBeUiKkjNJl