Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 2009 06:45:16 -0500
From:      Lane Holcombe <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java does not expose ScriptEngine

Hello,

JDK 1.6 supposedly bundles rhino scripting, but this does not seem to be
the case on FreeBSD 7 for java/jdk16, java/diablo-jdk16 or java/openjdk6
as each call to ScriptEngineManager.getEngineFactories() returns an
empty list.

when I put the script-engine jar into the classpath:

(e.g. put js-engine.jar into /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/ext)

java does not load the script engine as expected.

On other os's (have tested Windows, and ubuntu) I can add a scriptengine
simply by placing the jar in the classpath.

Does anyone have any information about how to use scripting with java on
FreeBSD?

thanks!

lane