Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:17:40 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        "Michael A. Endsley" <mandm@alaska.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, thomas@hentschel.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 on 3.3 installation

A little while ago, I was install 3.2-RELEASE from the CD-ROMs onto a
system without the ability to boot from the CD-ROM.  So I'd made the
usual two floppies and installed using them.

I was having problems like this reported one too.  It would crash with
similar errors in the middle of gunzip/tar extracts.

Now I knew that the floppy images were OK because I'd used them to
install FBSD on another machine from the same CDs a few weeks before.

After thrashing around and not making any progress, I endded up
reformatting the floppies using my working FBSD system.  The filesystem
floppy refused to reformat - lots of errors from the fd driver.  I threw
it in the trash and went through a batch of what turned out to be bad
floppies 'till I found one that formatted successfully.

I dd'd the image onto it successfully.  Then out of paranoia, I dd'd it
back in to compare the image.  The dd failed - again the driver went
crazy complaining about unreadable blocks.  Just to make sure I wasn't
nuts, I dd'd the image back onto the floppy, again without any errors.
It just couldn't read the image even though it apparently wrote it
successfully.  Another floppy in the trash.

I finally found a good floppy that kept its format and its image, popped
it in the install machine, and it worked just fine.  No more gzip
crashes at odd places during the install, 3.2 installed and ran fine.

If you're using floppies, don't trust 'em.

	-- Parag Patel