Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 14:35:03 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binutils bloat

Mike Smith wrote:
> Are the cross tools only useful for targetting FreeBSD systems?  Can
> you poke it so that it produces more than one set of cross tools in a
> given world build?  (does binutils support multitargetting?  I seem to
> recall something that implied it was going to way-back-when.)

The cross tools are useful for any of the operating systems supported
by bfd/opcodes in binutils, not just FreeBSD. In my case, I'm interested
in cross tools to build on either i386 or alpha, targeted at an mvme147
(m68k) which takes forever to compile things itself.

> I could see the sense in putting bits in for likely targets (sparc,
> alpha, ppc, maybe a few others), but dinosaurs like the Vax, m88k,
> amd29k etc. could probably be ignored.

It's a pain working out which bits are required without building to
find out. For example, the alpha gas code needs a vax floating point
file. 8-)

> OTOH, what is the actual footprint we're talking about here?  Disk is
> cheap. 8)

du -ks /u2/gnu/binutils-2.8.1 /u/freebsd/src/src/contrib/binutils
22818   /u2/gnu/binutils-2.8.1
10575   /u/freebsd/src/src/contrib/binutils

12Mb worst case. A bit less if you leave of the testsuites.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137