Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:52:14 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make -f Makefile.bsd depend fails

Just to let people know, Jeremy Norris <ishmael27@home.com> came up
with a nice reminder that gmake looks for GNUmakefile before makefile
before Makefile, so I can now leave my pmake Makefile with its real
name.

Problem at hand solved; still wondering about how the generic
bsd.dep.mk situation could be improved though :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Do you think anybody has ever had *precisely this thought* before?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 07:33:19PM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write a cross-platform, cross-make compatible app.
> Thus, there is a Makefile.bsd and a Makefile.gnu, with Makefile
> being a symlink the user makes to the appropriate file.
>
> If Makefile points to Makefile.bsd, 'make depend' works fine.
> If, however, I invoke a make -f Makefile.bsd depend, and
> Makefile is a link to Makefile.gnu (uninterpretable by pmake):

[snip make errors output]