Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 16:19:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 09:37:41 -0500 (EST), Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net> said:
>
> > This would serve to give the ideas their best airing, allow the
> > developers to present their cases in the lowest possible pressure
> > consistent with public disclosure, and probably give the loser at least
> > the feeling that they'd certainly been listened to, so their would be
> > less likelihood of injured feelings.  And, FreeBSD would most likely to
> > get the best IPv6 implementation from it.
>
> I frankly don't care that much which IPv6 implementation is chosen.
> My concerns are the following:
>
> 2) that we don't screw any of the existing developers
>
> 1) that we make whatever necessary fundamental advances we can in the
> network stack before taking on additional deadweight

That's true ... however, we need a balance between making sure things
are right, and very long delays in getting things to that point.

Garrett, you're obviously point man on #1, and we recognize it's a good
point.  Do you think we're in some sort of condition to wait for the
kernel improvements (will some reasonable extra delay give us those
fundamental advances, or just extra delay)?

Are we talking a month, 3 months, a year, what?  Need at least a
feeling, I know asking for accuracy is ludicrous.  Can't really evaluate
the weight of your statement without some feeling about the chances of
delay versus the chances of getting the improvements.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).