Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:33:51 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
Subject:   Re: lang/php5 port

--==========6EFEFB62EA53E2F5ACD3==========

--On December 16, 2008 7:33:31 PM -0600 Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>=20
wrote:

> One of the reasons I've had to edit Makefile manually was because a
> client needed JPEG support.
>
> At the time, `make config' didn't provide that option.

You should *never* need to edit a Makefile in a port.  (Well, extremely=20
rarely.)  Usually the options are provided.  Optionally you can add them=20
on the commandline like this:
make -dwith_enable-foo -dwith_disable-bar.  In the case of major ports=20
such as lang/php5, the options are almost always available somehow.  Jpeg=20
support, for example, is in php5-extensions.

If you don't find something you're expecting in a port, and you can't get=20
an answer on this list, email the port maintainer, whose email address=20
will always be in the port's Makefile.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas