Date:      Thu, 14 May 2009 15:33:36 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        James Tanis <jtanis@mdchs.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: issues with Intel Pro/1000 and 1000baseTX

> Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > Replace the cable.  If the cable is marginal, autoneg will downgrade the
> > speed to ensure reliability.  Use a cable that you know will produce
> > 1000baseTX because you've tested it on other systems.
> >
> Well, I don't have any verified working cable of the appropriate length
> so I simply switched out the cables for the main server and the backup
> server. They are both cat6 cables crimped with cat5e modules by me. For
> what reason (bad crimp job?) that seemed to fix the issue.

QC on patch cables is sketchy.  Most places are usually good, but
even the best companies will have a bad crimp every now and again.

Add to that how they are generally handled ... I mean, statistically
there's a good chance that cable was on the floor and someone stepped
on it or something ...

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com