Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 09:42:59 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        Chad Day <cday@permanently.misplaced.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Cox cable modem on FreeBSD 4.5

On Sunday 02 June 2002 08:55 am, you wrote:
> Hello.. I have a COX cable modem (northern virginia), and I'm kind of stuck
> now.  I've done a lot of reading of documentation about getting the cable
> modem to work, and some of it has helped.. but.. here's where I'm at now.
>
> I login, after resetting my cable modem (I have to do this every time I
> switch between FreeBSD and my Windows machine -- seperate boxes).. I run
> dhclient xl0 for my card, and it gets me the IP address, router info,
> gateway, etc -- all successfully.  What happens next is the weird thing..
> sometimes I can get about 2-3 minutes of normal connectivity.. never more
> than that, and sometimes not at all.  Then everything just dies.  I can't
> ping anything, including gateways or DNS servers at cox.. just packet loss
> everywhere.  Can't traceroute, can't ftp, nothing.  I can kill dhclient and
> start it again, and it appears to work again (gets an IP addr), but I can't
> do anything still.  I'm unsure why I am unable to maintain a connection.
>
> When I run ifconfig after running dhclient, it looks correct -- it has my
> ip address, and all the other appropriate things.  Has anyone come across
> this problem before?  It's pretty frustrating to have like 2 minutes of
> connectivity, then poof.. nothing..  I feel like I'm so close to getting it
> working, but I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks!
> Chad

You didn't say what version you were running but it sounds like a problem
with your NIC.  I had a similar problem about a year ago with a 3Com card
until I disabled PNP in the bios. The NIC would just lock up and not pass
anything.

      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957