Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:50:53 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        jef moskot <jef@math.miami.edu>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: qpopper is very noisy

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

* jef moskot <jef@math.miami.edu> [20010321 05:43]: writing on the subject =
'Re: qpopper is very noisy'
jef> Mike Meyer wrote:
jef> > jef moskot <jef@math.miami.edu> types:
jef> > > I'm using qpopper right now and it's doing fine, but it spits out =
a line
jef> > > every time it's accessed when I'm logged into the console as root,=
 which
jef> > > gets annoying pretty quickly.
jef> > >=20
jef> > > Is it possible to turn this behavior off, while still allowing the=
se
jef> > > messages to be reported normally in the log file?
jef> >=20
jef> > Well, the best way is to not log in as root.
jef>=20
jef> At first I thought you were being a smartass, then I turned my brain on
jef> realized that that's a pretty good workaround.  Thanks!
jef>=20
jef> > Failing that, you can use syslog.conf to control where the messages
jef> > from syslogd go. The man pages provide some details on this.
jef>=20
jef> I messed around with this originally, even found precisely what I want=
ed
jef> to do on a web page somewhere, made the change and...nothing happened.=
 =20
jef> Sorry, I can't remember the details of that attempt, but I'll try agai=
n.
jef>=20
jef> At any rate, do you think it would be a good idea to contact the autho=
r of
jef> the port, to turn this behavior off by default?  Is there any sensible
jef> reason to spam the root operator with non-critical messages?

But not before going into the FAQs for qpopper.
They are at qualcomm.com If there is no solution there then maybe the
author will feel obliged to work on that.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up your "Very Important Documents" flop=
py=20
disk?=20

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq--