Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:49:03 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
Subject:   Re: Bonded multilink ADSL connection

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 18:10, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am attempting to create a bonded multilink connection with two ADSL
> links to my upstream using FreeBSD.
>
> Based on info I have read, I want/need to use mpd, however, I have not
> found a definitive answer on whether mpd will actually act as a true
> bonded connection as opposed to a load-balancer.

mpd can do multilink PPPoE. I have done in the past, between two
FreeBSD systems using 4 links, but given the OO approach of netgraph,
I believe it will work with most vendors.

Do you have the two modems required for such a configuration?
Each link of the bond must get its ethernet interface. So, you
need two ethernet cards at least and two ADSL modems in bridging
mode. The configuration itself is pretty straightforward.

> Essentially, can anyone help me out replicate what I have working on my
> Cisco on FreeBSD? I'd really like to see an example working config.

If you cover the requirements, I can send you a working configuration.
Not necessarily an exact replicate of what you send, but close enough.

Nikos