Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2002 15:07:34 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, Andre` Niel Cameron <AndreC@Axxs.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLEASE REMOVE CAMCOM@OPTONLINE.NET

Jon Hamilton wrote:

> Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, said on Wed Jan 02, 2002 [05:25:53 PM]:
> }
> } > I have requested camcom@optonline.net be removed SEVERAL times..  Can you
> } > please get it off the list?  It's my home email address and I am using
> } > Dial-up at home right now and this list is killing me:)  PLEASE help.
> } > Thanks.
> } >
> } > Regards,
> } > Andre` C.
> } > Technical Support
> } > ԿԬ
> } >
> } > To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
> } > with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
> } ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> }
> } 	If this dosen't work, you're not subscribed to the list under this
> } address. Try emailing majordomo directly for help. There is a command that
> } will tell you what address you're connected to as.
>
> No, I think what he's trying to get at is that he can't send mail to
> FreeBSD.org from home, probably because his ISP doesn't have a reverse
> mapping for his dynamic IP address, and he's sending mail directly rather
> than relaying through his ISP's mail server.  No amount of people telling
> him to send mail to majordomo will solve that problem.
>
> I understand the reason the postmaster(s) have implemented this, but you
> also have to understand that there are a number of people who subscribed
> prior to the implementation of some of the anti-spam measures, who are now
> unable to unsubscribe from the lists, and who are probably unable to even
> contact the postmaster to get the problem fixed (at least from their home
> address).  Telling them to do what they have repeatedly said that they have
> already tried will not help.

That is why you have to pay attention to Reid's comment. It takes care
of that situation. If he sends

to the majordomo, he can send the authorization line received from the
majordomo from any computer. It doesn't have to come from his home
computer. If the majordomo isn't accepting his unsubscribe, then he
needs to look at the email headers and see how he is subscribed.

A while back I was part of solving a dirty-trick subscription to all of
the FreeBSD mail lists. A sysadmin at a Southern California university
fraternity subscribed to all of the FreeBSD lists and then forwarded the
messages to someone that had left the fraternity. You can imagine how
many emails he was receiving every day. You could tell from the headers
who was subscribed to the list. So, I suggested that he send in a
message to unsubscribe that email address of the sysadmin. The person
receiving the dirty-trick emails received each of the authorizations and
unsubscribed from the lists. I thought it qualified as harassment but he
probably didn't contact the local police or the fraternities ISP. I
thought it was sufficient grounds for their high speed link being
dropped by the ISP.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart