Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:21:03 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu, Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which is faster zip drive under FreeBSD: usb or parallel?

dochawk@psu.edu types:
> > > Yes, i do get irritated with that.  But, for my laptop it seems the only
> > > practical way to go for backups and archives.  It's not too bad.  When i
> > get
> > > a desktop, if i ever do, i will definitely go with tape and cron.

> I"m actually going with extra ide drives for backup on my scsi system.
> The price of 40G drives is down to about 1.5X the same amount of
> tapemedia, and then there's the tape drive.  I'll have a 3 IDE RAID 5
> rather than a tape drive.  I'll also have the scsi cd/rw . . .

I tried that for a while. Then I needed the IRQs back :-(.

Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org> types:
> Now I have gotten rid of all of my Parallel equipment and moved to SCSI
> (for drives and scanners) and USB for other stuff.

Why not USB for the scanner? While the Iomega SCSI may suck, my Artec
SCSI scanner creates far more problems. I solved them by putting the
scanner, the IOMega and the CDRW on their own bus, but that seems
excessive.

	<mike