Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:19:44 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattlefenix.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattlefenix.net>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

* Robert Watson (rwatson@freebsd.org) [030203 15:01]:

> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Benjamin Krueger wrote:
>
> > > While your thoughts on how to improve the project are appreciated, blind
> > > speculation isn't helpful for anyone.
> >
> > You're absolutely right. I'm glad Core is going to explain why a
> > valuable contributor got the boot. There is no better way to to avoid
> > rumour mongering and blind speculation. That, after all, can only serve
> > to hurt the project.
>
> Do you really think publishing shopping lists of behavioral problems is
> going to solve anything?

At the moment, not explaining any events which may have occured seems to be
hurting the project. This does little to convey a sense of stability or
trust, and the secrecy is causing many to reconsider their participation in
the project. At the very least, it is a matter of respect to the project
community.

Core has nothing to hide, and the project belongs to all involved. If the
move to remove Dillon's commit privileges truly is beneficial to the project,
then why is an explaination of this so difficult to share?

--
Benjamin Krueger